As an eighth-grade science teacher, I empathize with "Asta Bowen's discouragement (HCN, 1/18/99). At times, just one negative interaction with a student or parent can cast a pall over your whole day and cause you to wonder about your choice of occupation. Ours is a profession where the results often do not surface until years afterward, and we as teachers may never be aware of the changes we elicit in our students' lives. I want to encourage "Asta to hang in there. It sounds to me like she is the type of educator, mentor and role model our students need.
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?