Shame on you for printing the bureaucratic babble Fees Please Visitors ... without giving equal time to Scott Silver (Bulletin Board, HCN, 6/22/98). I worked for the Park Service, BLM and Forest Service for a quarter of a century. I know self-serving government propaganda when I see it. Even if their new fee program is an "unqualified success," it's only because the general public is not privy to many of the shenanigans being pulled on their public lands. The report claims "new fees did not appear to turn many visitors away." That's almost laughable. Who gathered that "data'? My fellow rangers used to call it pseudo-science.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans