October 30, 1981
A special issue on Montana, with articles on the Rocky Mountain Front, the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, cattle and coal, and Anaconda's bars.
The Rocky Mountain Front's Pine Butte Swamp, an area facing oil development, is the last place in the contiguous United States where grizzly bears come down from the mountains to forage in the lowlands.
- Kate Robinson on Stop the rock-stacking
- Dave Cichan on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Keith Barefoot on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Greg Graves on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution