Hugh B. McKeen cried wolf in the article "Wolves go wild in the Southwest" (HCN, 2/16/98). McKeen, who is convinced that people have been killed by wolves, predicts a child will be killed by Mexican wolves within a few years. That dog don't hunt. Compared to Fido, the family pet, wolves are saints. Consider this:
* Dogs bite almost 4.5 million people each year;
* Almost 800,000 of these bites require medical attention;
* Most bites are inflicted by family pets or dogs known to the victim.
The Insurance Information Institute estimates that up to one-third of homeowners' liability claims are for dog attacks.
There has never been a documented case of a healthy wolf attacking a human. I'll take my chances with a wolf over Fido any day.
Drusha L. Mayhue
- Wendy Beye on Another Yellowstone River oil spill
- Harvey H Reading on Wyoming grazing dispute threatens bighorn sheep
- irene gilbert on Critical mule deer research relies on fundraising
- Micaela Fischer on The Unusual Occupation at Utah’s Book Cliffs
- Larry Bullock on Wyoming grazing dispute threatens bighorn sheep