More than 1,500 whitewater enthusiasts and conservationists are expected to show up for Friends of the River's 18th Annual Rivers Festival, Feb. 20-22, at the Fort Mason Center in San Francisco, Calif. This year's theme: Protecting Rivers for the Next Generation. Speakers include photographer Galen Rowell and the Glen Canyon Institute's Richard Ingebretsen and David Wegner, who will discuss the proposal to drain Lake Powell. Organizers also plan to honor a conservationist with a "Peter Behr" award, named for the man who spearheaded California's Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. The workshop-filled weekend winds down with a sea-kayak race. Contact Friends of the River, 128 J Street, 2nd floor, Sacramento, CA 95814-2207 (916/442-3155).
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species
- Charles Fox on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Bryan T Burke on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators