Thank you for an outstanding Yellowstone issue (HCN, 9/15/97). Ecologist Charles Kay's opinion alone was worth the price of a year's subscription.
I'm an ex-park ranger with years of sad experience with the fundamentalism that has taken over the environmental movement. Kay is justified in stating that "Environmentalists believe that North America was a Garden of Eden, untouched by the hand of man until 1492."
We ecologists who have allowed the Bambi true believers to take over the political process and speak for us are as guilty as the Republicans who let the Christian Coalition take over their party. The crucial question of Yellowstone is how to take back the leadership from fundamentalists. The credibility of the environmental movement is at stake.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day