Thank you for an outstanding Yellowstone issue (HCN, 9/15/97). Ecologist Charles Kay's opinion alone was worth the price of a year's subscription.
I'm an ex-park ranger with years of sad experience with the fundamentalism that has taken over the environmental movement. Kay is justified in stating that "Environmentalists believe that North America was a Garden of Eden, untouched by the hand of man until 1492."
We ecologists who have allowed the Bambi true believers to take over the political process and speak for us are as guilty as the Republicans who let the Christian Coalition take over their party. The crucial question of Yellowstone is how to take back the leadership from fundamentalists. The credibility of the environmental movement is at stake.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town