A statistic on how modern cowboys ride the range: Wyoming leads the nation in fleet mentality (more vehicles than total residents), as well as miles behind the wheel (the average licensed driver in Wyoming drove enough miles in 1993 to get to Tierra del Fuego and back).
As for mental health, the amenity-rich Rocky Mountain region has by far the highest suicide rate. Nevada consistently leads the nation in suicide, and in the 1993 rankings, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho and Colorado held the rest of the top spots, second through seventh nationally.
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?