A statistic on how modern cowboys ride the range: Wyoming leads the nation in fleet mentality (more vehicles than total residents), as well as miles behind the wheel (the average licensed driver in Wyoming drove enough miles in 1993 to get to Tierra del Fuego and back).
As for mental health, the amenity-rich Rocky Mountain region has by far the highest suicide rate. Nevada consistently leads the nation in suicide, and in the 1993 rankings, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho and Colorado held the rest of the top spots, second through seventh nationally.
- Helen Neufeld on Critics see GOP wildfire bill as attack on environmental protections
- Larry Bullock on The Latest: Wild Mexican wolf pups born in Sierra Madre
- Bruce Vojtecky on A day on the river that ended in a death
- Larry Bullock on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- stuart polack on bobcat kill