In Ed Marston's review of Rangeland Health (HCN, 4/9/94), the term "handmaiden" pejoratively described the relationship between range science and the livestock industry. Why this female gendered word? Why not use "servant" or "lackey" or "busboy'? Are most range scientists female? I think not.
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy