High Country News couldn't resist the urge to engage in BLM bashing in Florence Williams' story on the El Pinacate reserve (HCN, 3/21/94). The front page states, "Directly to the north are public lands, U.S.-style: a military bombing range, cow-beaten BLM allotments, ..." In fact there are no BLM-managed lands directly to the north of El Pinacate. The only BLM lands in the entire southwest region of Arizona are a few tracts at Ajo and Yuma. Lands directly to the north of El Pinacate are managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, by the Park Service at Organ Pipe National Monument and by the Air Force at the Goldwater Bombing Range.
Carson City, Nevada
- Jim Bolen on Land transfer battles rage on, county by county
- Jim Bolen on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- Mike Carnall on How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- John F Mijer on There’s no Brexit from our climate problems
- Thomas Arvensis on There’s no Brexit from our climate problems