High Country News couldn't resist the urge to engage in BLM bashing in Florence Williams' story on the El Pinacate reserve (HCN, 3/21/94). The front page states, "Directly to the north are public lands, U.S.-style: a military bombing range, cow-beaten BLM allotments, ..." In fact there are no BLM-managed lands directly to the north of El Pinacate. The only BLM lands in the entire southwest region of Arizona are a few tracts at Ajo and Yuma. Lands directly to the north of El Pinacate are managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, by the Park Service at Organ Pipe National Monument and by the Air Force at the Goldwater Bombing Range.
Carson City, Nevada
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day