Native Force is the brainchild of Jon Proudstar, a screenwriter who says his forebears are a mix of Yaqui, Mayan, Jewish and Latino, and artist Ryan Huna Smith, who grew up on the Chemehuevi reservation outside of Tucson. The two men say their comic, although full of blood, guts and green ooze like most, tries to offer positive role models for Native American youths who must learn to survive in two cultures. They sold 12,000 copies of the first issue last summer before their California-based publisher, Mystic Comics, went bankrupt. The second issue is finished but waiting for another publisher.
For more information, contact Jon Proudstar, War Drum Studios, P.O. Box 5562, Tucson, AZ 85703-5562 (520/770-1344).
* Elizabeth Manning
- Peter Nelson on Two political elites prevail in Navajo primary melee
- Deb Dedon on New Mexico delays controversial Gila vote
- Deb Dedon on Considering historical correctness in New Mexico
- Deb Dedon on Two political elites prevail in Navajo primary melee
- Chuck Brushwood on Did Obama's Interior hobble the Endangered Species Act?