Photo Contests – Official Rules
- You may SUBMIT up to three (3) of your images in each of the categories listed below between Aug. 1 - Aug. 31, 2014 at midnight. Images must be in JPG, PNG or GIF format and no larger than 2MB. NOTE that a high-resolution image may be required if you are chosen as a winner. Include a caption (limit 100 words), describing the photo and including the photographer name, location of photo and names of any people pictured.
If you are selected a winner, HCN may contact you for a high-resolution image for printing in the magazine. Please read the content guidelines and disclaimers below.
- VOTE for your favorite images between Sept. 1 and midnight, Sept. 15. Click on an image to enlarge it and access voting. Please cast only one vote per image Once chosen, that vote cannot be reversed.
There are three categories for the 2014 HCN audience photo contest. Entries may be submitted by any registered HCN website user/subscriber. If you wish to submit an entry and you are not a registered site user with an account, the user registration process is simple and free, and may be completed during the image or story submission process.
All published entries are eligible for voting online by any HCN site user, registered or not. Site users may vote for as many images as they wish during the contest's voting period, but each user may cast only one vote per image. High Country News staff will choose a winner from each category, and HCN website users will be judged through the online voting process, beginning Sept. 1. Select winners will be published in the magazine, and all images will be published on the hcn.org website.
By submitting Content to High Country News, you grant us royalty-free and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and/or publish the Content in our discretion. High Country News shall have the right, but not the obligation, to attribute the Content to you. The Web Administrator may remove the Content from the website at any time and for any reason.
You are entirely responsible for the Content submitted and for any dispute and/or damage(s) that might arise from such Content.
By making the Content available to us, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights of any third party;
- the photos were not taken illegally;
- High Country News without limiting any of those representations or warranties, has the right (though not the obligation), in sole discretion, to refuse or remove any Content that, in our reasonable opinion, violates any policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable.
- High Country News staff members cannot contribute an entry to the story contests.
If for any reason a contest is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of High Country News which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, High County News reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. High County News assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. High County News is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by High County News on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in this contest or downloading any materials in this contest.
We pledge to do our best to make this fair and accessible to all who want to contribute, and we thank you for your participation!