Up-to-date, critical, independent analysis
Reading High Country News will help your students unravel the complex issues facing the American West.
Receive the magazine for yourself and each student in your classroom*.
To get started:
- Fill out our online form,
- download a classroom subscription PDF or
- email Gretchen King, classroom subscription manager
* Classroom distribution program available to higher education institutions.
"HCN provides some of the most timely, insightful and broad-reaching analysis of a wide range of issues in the West. Thus, it is invaluable for introducing students to good writing, to this region, and for providing case studies to compare to local contexts."
"Having access to High Country News was an invaluable resource for my freshman students in our introductory Environment and Natural Resource Problems & Policies course here at the University of Wyoming. It allowed the students to have a consistent and reliable source of current ENR issues in the West, and also helped them discern different kinds of academic and popular sources, and examine issues from multiple perspectives. Using HCN allowed them to see that the approach we take in class--to use critical lenses and ask data-driven questions--is one that helps us all understand and consider solutions to complex issues in our homes, region, and world."
"The students in my Land Use in the American West class have to write-up three current event assignments as part of their final grade. They found the free HCNs extremely helpful and relevant. I heard from several of them that they also valued reading them purely for their own enjoyment and interest as well. Thank you!!"
Other ways to help your students get High Country News:
Contact Gretchen at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your school promotional code. Provide students with the promotional code and send them to hcn.org/subscribe for either the print or digital subscriptions listed below.
$10 STUDENT PRINT SUBSCRIPTION includes:
- Eight print issues (one semester) mailed directly to the home or dorm room
- Full access to subscriber-only content on hcn.org
- Page-flipping digital edition that looks just like the print version (sample)
- Full access to subscriber-only content on our free iPhone/iPad apps
FREE STUDENT DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION includes: