Available Digital-Editions of High Country News
This Land is Their Land
Public land access problems frustrate hikers and hunters; why greens are mad at the California governor; how balanced rocks can help us predict earthquake risk; explorations in an urban wilderness.
What Are We Thinking?
A High Country News special issue on the future of environmental ideas.
The Dust Detectives
New research from dust experts, non-native goats in the La Sal Mountains, new drone laws, Navajo Nation presidential election and more.
The Great Salmon Compromise
A massive compromise to save Columbia Basin salmon, Gunnison sage grouse gets protection, pet tortoises still threaten wild ones, and a fresh look at wolves’ impacts on Yellowstone.
How light rail could transform Phoenix, the man who invented floating island to revive an ecosystem, and the tough questions that crude-filled trains raise in the Pacific Northwest.
Timberland herbicide spraying sickens a community in Oregon, a look at why the current drilling boom is more sensitive to price fluctuations than its predecessors, California's sweeping new groundwater regulations, a desert-friendly cow and more.
Defuse the West
An HCN investigation into violent threats to public-land employees, analysis of the newest movement to return public land management to state government, highlights of the upcoming midterm elections and more.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands