Available Digital-Editions of High Country News
What Are We Thinking?
A High Country News special issue on the future of environmental ideas.
The Dust Detectives
New research from dust experts, non-native goats in the La Sal Mountains, new drone laws, Navajo Nation presidential election and more.
The Great Salmon Compromise
A massive compromise to save Columbia Basin salmon, Gunnison sage grouse gets protection, pet tortoises still threaten wild ones, and a fresh look at wolves’ impacts on Yellowstone.
How light rail could transform Phoenix, the man who invented floating island to revive an ecosystem, and the tough questions that crude-filled trains raise in the Pacific Northwest.
Timberland herbicide spraying sickens a community in Oregon, a look at why the current drilling boom is more sensitive to price fluctuations than its predecessors, California's sweeping new groundwater regulations, a desert-friendly cow and more.
Defuse the West
An HCN investigation into violent threats to public-land employees, analysis of the newest movement to return public land management to state government, highlights of the upcoming midterm elections and more.
Charles Bowden's Fury
A profile of the late Charles Bowden, the Southwest's strongest voice. Plus, utilities experiment with real-time response in the Pacific Northwest, and an obsessive flash flood chaser improves forecasting in Utah.
- Eric Haggstrom on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Glen Colton on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Glen Colton on New documentary offers a sharp look at the West’s water crisis
- Jerry Nolan on Nuclear power divides California’s environmentalists
- Mike Sennett on Latest: Officials open a criminal investigation of EPA’s role in the Animas river spill