Available Digital-Editions of High Country News
Meet the new Sagebrush insurgents, a well-connected and well-armed network of malcontents bent on delegitimizing the federal government. Plus, how a landmark water agreement fell apart, and the legal case for climate action.
The Forever War
Why Wildlife Services continues to kill predators, despite decades of research on nonlethal methods. Plus, how the public could pay for coal cleanup and a look at Malheur's quieter moments.
Secrets of the Deep
The researchers digging up mysteries of the ocean in Nevada's desert, plus death by cop and gun control in the West. Cover illustration: Shonisaurus popularis and Californosaurus perrini, depicted by Boise illustrator Todd Marshall.
Why researchers are studying a group of Southwestern ranchers to learn about sharing, plus a look at the long road to protected habitat for the murrelet and the West's disappearing fire lookouts.
Meet the men on trial for profiting off the Southwest's drought in the latest issue of High Country News. Plus, the architects redesigning L.A. and the attorneys general taking things into their own hands.
The Campaign Against Coal
D.C. correspondent Elizabeth Shogren travels through coal country to find where ‘keep it in the ground’ meets ‘keep the lights on.’ Plus a look at El Niño in the West, oil and gas compromises in Moab and more.
Clean Energy's Dirty Secret
How industrial solar and wind are endangering wildlife, plus saving Washington’s wolves and a Colorado ranch that’s also an abbey.
- A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- A couple living off-the-grid fought water law — and won
- In Arizona’s shift toward purple, a backlash to Trump hastens the pace
- Yosemite’s superintendent retires after discrimination allegations surface
- Vegan food may not be as “vegan” as you think
- Keith B. on An argument against internet access in parks
- Deb Dedon on How the Dakota pipeline protest is spreading Westwide
- Greg Arnold on A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- Nancie McCormish on Vegan food may not be as “vegan” as you think
- Tom Darnell on An argument against internet access in parks