Browse High Country News feature stories
Scientists, planes and instruments descend on San Juan Basin to find roots of the massive greenhouse gas hotspot.
The war between the fossil fuel industry and Big Green may boil down to who can tell the best story.
Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski and a majority of her colleagues signal support for the pro-transfer movement.
In southern Utah’s Escalante watershed, a river restoration group tries to cut through old cultural barriers.
Only a handful of seats are truly up for grabs, including two in the West, and they’re being fiercely contested.
When a worker died on the job, the company paid a $6,700 penalty, inciting new discussion on the issue.
Portland’s fluoridation battle shows how tricky it is to integrate science into debates that have as much to do with values as policy.
It wasn't visionary city officials; it was a movement to save the city's ethnic Chinese neighborhoods in the '60s.
Red tape makes it difficult for veterans in Indian Country to access a key federal assistance program.
Photographer Rebecca Drobis looks for universal images of youth on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana.
The debate over the drilling technique known as hydraulic fracturing is heating up this fall, as several cities along Colorado’s Front Range prepare to vote on fracking bans or moratoriums.
Irrigation shutoffs in the river's upper basin may finally help move a historic water deal on the Oregon-California border.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum