Items by William Debuys
This season’s wildfires are caused by three things: Climate change-induced drought, bureaucratic blindness and old-fashioned human folly.
A collaborative online effort allows both skeptics and believers to study and compare the scientific data regarding climate change.
Western writers offer a generous and inspired list of recommended reading for the president-elect, including a diverse collection of fiction and nonfiction.
The writer believes that much can be learned from the Cerro Grande fire at Los Alamos, N.M., if we will acknowledge our ignorance and learn how to live in the West.
In the West, a search for the politics of union is threatened by runaway litigation and advocacy groups that refuse to compromise.
John Wesley Powell, who was a Civil War hero, scientist and geographer, as well as the explorer who first rafted the length of the Colorado River, could be the West's unofficial patron saint, a flawed and human saint whose ideas still challenge us today.
- Dave Cichan on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Keith Barefoot on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Greg Graves on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Beth & George Broyles on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans