Items by Wayne Hare
The second edition of John Ravage's book, Black Pioneers: Images of the Black Experience on the North American Frontier, illuminates the roles blacks played in settling the West.
Unhappy campers or rabid animals don't scare the author, but the pervasive influence of the NRA sure does.
Wayne Hare, a ranger for the Bureau of Land Management, says giving hiring preference to minorities in federal jobs is just a myth.
As an African-American, Wayne Hare appreciates Black History Month, but looks forward to a time when the U.S. can celebrate its identity as a nation of non-hyphenated Americans.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town