Items by Terri Likens
An encounter at Grand Canyon with a young California condor leads the writer to consider how - and why - we need to bring back this very endangered species.
Environmentalists say new rules restricting helicopter and airplane flights in the Grand Canyon still aren't enough to restore quiet, even as air-tour operators react with anger and lawsuits.
Due to lead poisoning, Grand Canyon California condors have been recaptured until officials can track down the source.
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy