Items by Terri Likens
An encounter at Grand Canyon with a young California condor leads the writer to consider how - and why - we need to bring back this very endangered species.
Environmentalists say new rules restricting helicopter and airplane flights in the Grand Canyon still aren't enough to restore quiet, even as air-tour operators react with anger and lawsuits.
Due to lead poisoning, Grand Canyon California condors have been recaptured until officials can track down the source.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town