Items by Susan Zakin
CALFED, a huge Clinton-era project designed to restore the California Delta, now seems to be stalled and unraveling under an indifferent Bush administration.
During Cinco de Mayo on the border between Douglas, Ariz., and Altar, Sonora, Mexico, a traditional horse race brings people of both countries together for fun and excitement.
Alexis Claire, who owns a travel agency in Bisbee, Ariz., is part of a revival of the "Sanctuary Movement,' trying to help today's economic refugees as she helped refugees from Central America 10 years ago.
In Douglas, Ariz., rancher and consultant Jerry Bohmfalk is considering a lawsuit against the Border Patrol, which he believes makes matters worse by pursuing "economic refugees."
As illegal immigration from Mexico increases, more people risk their lives crossing the desert into Arizona, while government agencies, anti-immigration vigilantes and human rights activists argue over how to handle the influx.
The International Sonoran Desert Alliance hopes, with the cooperation of the U.S. and Mexican governments, to ease some of the problems - many environmental - that tightened border security is causing.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans