Items by Sierra Crane-Murdoch
Los Angeles transplant Vera Brunner-Sung’s first fictional work tackles displacement, transience and belonging in Montana.
A new provision lets tribes prosecute non-tribal members for violent crimes like rape for the first time.
Conservative transplants largely from California have taken over Kootenai County -- have they gone too far?
A Custer impersonator confronts old and new racial tensions as he performs in a Battle of the Little Bighorn re-enactment in Montana.
North Dakota's Three Affiliated Tribes have long wanted a stake in the state's occasional oil booms, but the size, scope and speed of the Bakken development caught them completely unprepared.
In New Mexico's San Juan County, a new ordinance contrasts upper class aesthetics against a rural lifestyle.
The annual spring cleaning of its irrigation ditch brings tiny El Cerrito, N.M., together to work and celebrate.
The Imperial Visions Action Network is an interactive website that involves locals in reporting - and helping solve - environmental problems.
- Carl Reese on Five Western waterways worse than the orange Animas
- Steve Snyder on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Ray Ring on Montana farmers start talking climate change
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tom McCall on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought