Items by Sherry Devlin
Interior Secretary Gale Norton sets aside the Clinton-era plan to reintroduce grizzlies to wilderness in the Bitterroot Mountains of Idaho and Montana.
To ease the process of reintroducing grizzly bears to the Bitterroot Mountains on the Montana-Idaho border, the Fish and Wildlife Service is setting up a citizen management panel to give locals a voice in the project.
Just 44 percent of the "nuisance" grizzly bears trapped and relocated in the northern Rockies survive two years without getting into trouble again, says a wildlife biologist for the state of Montana.
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Peter Sandrock on Reflecting on the tragedy of the young 'invincibles'
- Roy Frybarger on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Julia Duin on Charles Bowden on The War Next Door