Items by Sherry Devlin
Interior Secretary Gale Norton sets aside the Clinton-era plan to reintroduce grizzlies to wilderness in the Bitterroot Mountains of Idaho and Montana.
To ease the process of reintroducing grizzly bears to the Bitterroot Mountains on the Montana-Idaho border, the Fish and Wildlife Service is setting up a citizen management panel to give locals a voice in the project.
Just 44 percent of the "nuisance" grizzly bears trapped and relocated in the northern Rockies survive two years without getting into trouble again, says a wildlife biologist for the state of Montana.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town