Items by Sharon Levy
Sharon Levy’s friends, Kerby and Irene, lived off the grid in Northern California and taught her a lot about life.
On Rice Island at the mouth of the Columbia River near Astoria, Ore., the world's largest nesting colony of Caspian terns enthralls birders but worries others, who claim the birds are eating too many endangered salmon and steelhead smolts.
The barred owl has moved into the territory of the endangered spotted owl, and its tendency to compete with, prey on and occasionally mate with the spotted owl may doom the endangered bird.
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?