Items by Shara Rutberg
A rider in the federal spending bill will end a 34-year-old ban on selling wild horses for slaughter
In Colorado, a group of river rafters float the Lake Fork of the Gunnison in defiance of a landowner who has filed suit to stop them, part of a statewide struggle over access and ownership of rivers.
Former teacher Joni Clark begins a 30-day sentence for tree-sitting in protest of Red Mountain Timber Sale in Colorado's San Juan Mountains.
Cyprus-Amax is determined to start mining molybdenum near Crested Butte, Colo., despite local opposition which defeated the company once 20 years ago.
Businesses in the ski town of Crested Butte, Colo., have begun offering a 1 percent surcharge on purchases to buy more open space.
Witness: Endangered Species of North America uses photographs to draw attention to the Endangered Species Act.
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Peter Sandrock on Reflecting on the tragedy of the young 'invincibles'
- Roy Frybarger on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Julia Duin on Charles Bowden on The War Next Door