Items by Shara Rutberg
A rider in the federal spending bill will end a 34-year-old ban on selling wild horses for slaughter
In Colorado, a group of river rafters float the Lake Fork of the Gunnison in defiance of a landowner who has filed suit to stop them, part of a statewide struggle over access and ownership of rivers.
Former teacher Joni Clark begins a 30-day sentence for tree-sitting in protest of Red Mountain Timber Sale in Colorado's San Juan Mountains.
Cyprus-Amax is determined to start mining molybdenum near Crested Butte, Colo., despite local opposition which defeated the company once 20 years ago.
Businesses in the ski town of Crested Butte, Colo., have begun offering a 1 percent surcharge on purchases to buy more open space.
Witness: Endangered Species of North America uses photographs to draw attention to the Endangered Species Act.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans