Items by Seth Shteir
A new, nonprofit friends group seeks to protect the Mojave National Preserve through community action
Seth Shteir is appalled at the prospect of a gigantic landfill planned for the fragile desert landscape next to Joshua Tree National Park.
Seth Shteir goes looking for birds and finds all kinds of wonderful things in a little-known corner of northeastern Nevada known as Lamoille Canyon.
Seth Shteir is astonished to encounter a small, endangered burrowing owl hiding in an auto mechanic’s shop deep in the wilds of Los Angeles.
- A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- A couple living off-the-grid fought water law — and won
- In Arizona’s shift toward purple, a backlash to Trump hastens the pace
- Yosemite’s superintendent retires after discrimination allegations surface
- Vegan food may not be as “vegan” as you think
- Larry Hartzke on Socialism and the West
- Hope Woodward on A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- Charles Yoder on A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- Keith B. on An argument against internet access in parks
- Deb Dedon on How the Dakota pipeline protest is spreading Westwide