Items by Seth Shteir
A new, nonprofit friends group seeks to protect the Mojave National Preserve through community action
Seth Shteir is appalled at the prospect of a gigantic landfill planned for the fragile desert landscape next to Joshua Tree National Park.
Seth Shteir goes looking for birds and finds all kinds of wonderful things in a little-known corner of northeastern Nevada known as Lamoille Canyon.
Seth Shteir is astonished to encounter a small, endangered burrowing owl hiding in an auto mechanic’s shop deep in the wilds of Los Angeles.
- Ed Morrow on After years of drought and overuse, the San Luis Valley aquifer refills
- Jake Sigg on Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- L Strader on Trial by fire
- ivonne cassaigne on The tenuous fate of the Southwest’s last jaguars
- william glasgow on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans