Items by Sarah Gilman and Jodi Peterson
High Country News gets rain, and visitors; new books from our contributors; Debra Utacia Krol wins award; correction.
Spelunkers visit High Country News; correction; obituaries for N.W. Grosse-Rhode and Ramon Mena Owens.
A good time to buy a McMansion – cheap; lawmakers wrangle over development; “eco-terrorism” in suburbia; EPA head honcho in trouble; cleaning up dirty Western air – and a few dirty Western politicians.
EPA stymies California’s attempt to cut tailpipe emissions; the West is growing but not sure where its next meal or drink of water will come from; increasing amounts of ammonium – and guns – in the parks; avalanche fatalities are up.
- George Winters on What Mt. Hood’s fading summer ski season means
- John F Mijer on Congress lets sun set on Land and Water Conservation Fund
- Gary Beverly on Does optimism have a place in Western water politics?
- John Worlock on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point
- Todd Vogel/Iversen on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point