Items by Ron Selden
Tim Faber, a carpenter, ranch hand and ‘redneck liberal,’ devotes himself to preserving the wild landscapes of Montana’s Missouri River Breaks
Montana rancher Karl Rappold is determined to save his beloved Rocky Mountain Front from development by the oil and gas industry
Activists are fighting a copper and silver mine planned for underneath the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness in Montana.
Montana greens are worried that recent legislative changes to the state's 1971 Montana Environmental Policy Act will make the law almost impossible to enforce.
Friends and admirers mourn the sudden, mysterious death by drowning of lesbian activist and environmentalist Tary Mocabee of Montana's Mission Valley.
Gayla Benefield of Libby, Mont., is among many fighting to keep the Montana Environmental Policy Act intact in the face of Republican attempts to weaken the far-reaching and powerful law.
Many Glacier and other historic hotels in Glacier National Park need major restoration, but some fear proposed legislation undermines concessionaire reforms only recently approved by Congress.
Jack and Stephanie McFarland sue when Glacier National Park officials deny them a special permit to snowmobile into their park inholding.
Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt is pushing for a new and expanded National Conservation Area along the banks of the Missouri River Breaks, a wild and scenic river corridor.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum