Items by Ron Selden
Tim Faber, a carpenter, ranch hand and ‘redneck liberal,’ devotes himself to preserving the wild landscapes of Montana’s Missouri River Breaks
Montana rancher Karl Rappold is determined to save his beloved Rocky Mountain Front from development by the oil and gas industry
Activists are fighting a copper and silver mine planned for underneath the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness in Montana.
Montana greens are worried that recent legislative changes to the state's 1971 Montana Environmental Policy Act will make the law almost impossible to enforce.
Friends and admirers mourn the sudden, mysterious death by drowning of lesbian activist and environmentalist Tary Mocabee of Montana's Mission Valley.
Gayla Benefield of Libby, Mont., is among many fighting to keep the Montana Environmental Policy Act intact in the face of Republican attempts to weaken the far-reaching and powerful law.
Many Glacier and other historic hotels in Glacier National Park need major restoration, but some fear proposed legislation undermines concessionaire reforms only recently approved by Congress.
Jack and Stephanie McFarland sue when Glacier National Park officials deny them a special permit to snowmobile into their park inholding.
Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt is pushing for a new and expanded National Conservation Area along the banks of the Missouri River Breaks, a wild and scenic river corridor.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply