Items by Ray Wheeler
The battle over wilderness preservation in Utah is fought on many fronts before it comes to a vote in Congress.
A checklist highlights the difference between the area preserved by the Utah Public Lands Act of 1995 and the Redrock Wilderness Act.
Utah's wilderness hearings stir controversy and draw vigorous support for more wilderness designation.
Until the early 1980s, southern Utah was a battleground against extractive industry. But many here are also opposed to industrial tourism. Is there a middle way that can support the region's small communities?
Ray Wheeler wanders across southeastern Utah, attempting to discover why the area is so bound to extraction, even against its own economic interest, and whether change is possible.
An effort to create wilderness in the La Sal Mountains near Moab, Utah, highlights infighting between the state's conservation groups.
- Mary Doherty on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Dale Lockwood on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Joe F Whelan on Charles Bowden’s Fury
- Bill Schiffbauer on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Jim Scarborough on Rural counties dealing with loss of fed dollars