Items by Ray Wheeler
The battle over wilderness preservation in Utah is fought on many fronts before it comes to a vote in Congress.
A checklist highlights the difference between the area preserved by the Utah Public Lands Act of 1995 and the Redrock Wilderness Act.
Utah's wilderness hearings stir controversy and draw vigorous support for more wilderness designation.
Until the early 1980s, southern Utah was a battleground against extractive industry. But many here are also opposed to industrial tourism. Is there a middle way that can support the region's small communities?
Ray Wheeler wanders across southeastern Utah, attempting to discover why the area is so bound to extraction, even against its own economic interest, and whether change is possible.
An effort to create wilderness in the La Sal Mountains near Moab, Utah, highlights infighting between the state's conservation groups.
- Vernon Brechin on Is Yucca Mountain back on the table?
- Frank Matyus on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- Matt Chew on Invasive crayfish in Oregon devastate native newts
- Jeffronimo Kingpin on Is Yucca Mountain back on the table?
- Verne House on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway