Items by Randal O toole
A review of Kathy Durbin's "Tree Huggers: Victory, Defeat, and Renewal in the Northwest Ancient Forest Campaign."
Opinion writer says that former Forest Chief Dale Robertson shouldn't have been replaced by Jack Ward Thomas.
"Wise-users" may not have much influence, but they should give environmentalists pause to reconsider their long-run strategies.
Timber jobs in the Northwest began to disappear long before the spotted owl became an issue. A forest economist explains the basics of the ancient forest controversy and why the economic challenge to the region extends far beyond direct job losses.
- Geoffrey Smith on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer
- Scott Cyrus on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Geoffrey Smith on Are we smarter than the hummingbirds?
- Mark Rozman on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer
- Charles Allen on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer