Items by Randal O'toole
A review of Kathy Durbin's "Tree Huggers: Victory, Defeat, and Renewal in the Northwest Ancient Forest Campaign."
Opinion writer says that former Forest Chief Dale Robertson shouldn't have been replaced by Jack Ward Thomas.
"Wise-users" may not have much influence, but they should give environmentalists pause to reconsider their long-run strategies.
Timber jobs in the Northwest began to disappear long before the spotted owl became an issue. A forest economist explains the basics of the ancient forest controversy and why the economic challenge to the region extends far beyond direct job losses.
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane
- Andy Grosland on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy