Items by Pepper Trail
Paleontology and geology at Summer Lake, an ancient lake bed in Oregon, have shown the Great Basin's history of dramatic change
Let's hear it for the sagebrush solitude of the West -- especially those places most Americans consider "worthless."
Watching sandhill cranes gather on the Platte River in Nebraska is like stepping into a time machine that takes you back to an unspoiled, wild West.
To imagine what your corner of the West will be like in a warmer climate, consider how different plants and animals are at a lower elevation.
A ground-breaking agreement between ranchers and environmentalists means that Oregon’s beautiful Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument is virtually cow-free.
Pepper Trail says a proposed energy corridor for the region will chew up huge amounts of public and private land: Comments are due by Feb. 14.
Pepper Trail says the BLM’s preferred alternative for an Oregon forest will only increase the risk of wildfire.
Now that logging no longer provides enough money to support Oregon’s libraries, Pepper Trail says it’s up to citizens to decide to keep their state’s bookshelves filled and accessible.
If we truly want to "salvage" our forests – and the rest of our environment – we need to think beyond salvage logging, and acknowledge that the value of dead trees cannot be measured in board-feet alone
The writer criticizes the Bush administration for ignoring public sentiment and rushing to log potential wilderness areas
The writer says logging companies and the Forest Service have targeted the last of the big old trees
The writer asks all those who love the West’s open spaces to oppose a bill privatizing federal mining claims
- A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- A couple living off-the-grid fought water law — and won
- In Arizona’s shift toward purple, a backlash to Trump hastens the pace
- Yosemite’s superintendent retires after discrimination allegations surface
- Vegan food may not be as “vegan” as you think
- Larry Hartzke on Socialism and the West
- Hope Woodward on A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- Charles Yoder on A look at Gold Butte, Nevada, two years after the Bundy standoff
- Keith B. on An argument against internet access in parks
- Deb Dedon on How the Dakota pipeline protest is spreading Westwide