Items by Paul Koberstein
While experts disagree and timber industry pooh-poohs, spotted owl may lose its long fight for survival.
A Snake River Chinook Recovery Team plan to truck salmon downstream does more to protect hydropower than fish, critics say.
Governors from Idaho, Washington, California and Oregon ask the President to design a strategy to restore declining salmon runs.
Alexander Cockburn's article in "The Nation' harshly criticizes Clinton's forest plan and the Sierra Club for going along with it.
As President Clinton unveils his plan for protecting the old trees and declining species in Northwest forests, he disturbed a big bear on the trail: Democrat Thomas S. Foley, the longtime congressman from Washington state.
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?