Items by Pat Dawson
NW Forest Plan not saving owls; logging planned for beetle-infested forests in Wash. and Idaho; Canadian company to drill for oil on Blackfeet Reservation; Montana press secretary Andrew Malcolm to work for Bush campaign; Navajo Nation sues Peabody Coal.
Montana's Crow Indians are fighting to get money they say was improperly collected in coal severance taxes from Crow-owned coal.
A jury made mostly of hunters finds Chad McKittrick guilty in the death of a reintroduced wolf, and castigates his lack of "hunting ethics."
Indian sacred sites are vulnerable to mining because the American Indian Religious Freedom Act has no teeth.
The Pegasus gold mine plans expansion amid Assiniboine and Gros Ventre tribes' accusations of pollution.
The gray wolf is coming back to Montana, and those who raise sheep and other livestock are going to have to learn to live with it.
The Crow have been one of the more flexible tribes in adapting to the ways of the dominant culture. But tribal leaders fear their easygoing ways may cost Crow children their ancestral ground.
- Millie Carson on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species
- Charles Fox on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators