Items by Pat Dawson
NW Forest Plan not saving owls; logging planned for beetle-infested forests in Wash. and Idaho; Canadian company to drill for oil on Blackfeet Reservation; Montana press secretary Andrew Malcolm to work for Bush campaign; Navajo Nation sues Peabody Coal.
Montana's Crow Indians are fighting to get money they say was improperly collected in coal severance taxes from Crow-owned coal.
Indian sacred sites are vulnerable to mining because the American Indian Religious Freedom Act has no teeth.
The Pegasus gold mine plans expansion amid Assiniboine and Gros Ventre tribes' accusations of pollution.
The gray wolf is coming back to Montana, and those who raise sheep and other livestock are going to have to learn to live with it.
The Crow have been one of the more flexible tribes in adapting to the ways of the dominant culture. But tribal leaders fear their easygoing ways may cost Crow children their ancestral ground.
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West