Items by Morgan Heim
A look inside a Bureau of Land Management oil and gas leasing auction, a tradition that may be killed by the digital age.
After conquering rocks, trails and mountains, weekend warriors have found a new hobby: Climbing the West’s big trees.
In southern Colorado, conservation groups find a way to save 9,000 high-altitude acres from second-home development.
In southwestern Arizona, the U.S. Border Patrol is working with Cocopah Indians and environmentalists to restore a degraded, crime-ridden wetland called Hunters Hole.
Environmentalists and Fish and Wildlife battle over the return of the jaguar to Southwestern borderlands.
In the Southwest’s Chihuahuan Desert, prairie dogs and kangaroo rats provide food and shelter for a host of other animals.
In rural Colorado, border collies and their handlers compete in a Western tradition, sheep dog trials.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town