Items by Morgan Heim
A look inside a Bureau of Land Management oil and gas leasing auction, a tradition that may be killed by the digital age.
After conquering rocks, trails and mountains, weekend warriors have found a new hobby: Climbing the West’s big trees.
In southern Colorado, conservation groups find a way to save 9,000 high-altitude acres from second-home development.
In southwestern Arizona, the U.S. Border Patrol is working with Cocopah Indians and environmentalists to restore a degraded, crime-ridden wetland called Hunters Hole.
Environmentalists and Fish and Wildlife battle over the return of the jaguar to Southwestern borderlands.
In the Southwest’s Chihuahuan Desert, prairie dogs and kangaroo rats provide food and shelter for a host of other animals.
In rural Colorado, border collies and their handlers compete in a Western tradition, sheep dog trials.
- G M Ferguson on What's the matter with New Mexico
- Wade Nelson on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- Frank matyus on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- William Bryan on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought
- Carl Reese on Five Western waterways worse than the orange Animas