Items by Michelle Mcclellan
The Student Conservation Association has been sending thousands of young volunteers to help maintain national parks since 1957.
An irrigation district's water diversion from the Rio Grande in New Mexico wipes out an estimated 70 percent of the endangered silvery minnow population.
A directory of some Western consensus groups is followed by a bibliography of consensus-building materials.
Arizona tells the city of Phoenix that it must come up with $25 million to preserve the nearby state-owned Cave Creek Wash.
Navajos win a court victory against Peabody Coal Company's strip mine on the reservation, citing pollution and desecrated burial sites.
Locals object to the killing of 350 bison for brucellosis prevention after they wander into West Yellowstone, Mont., from Yellowstone National Park.
Eastern Washington grass farms are upset by an announced phaseout of the practice of late-summer field burning, after clean air activists complain.
Taxpayers pay and managers are rewarded when Forest Service officials in California hand out timber contracts without adequate environmental review.
Environmentalists and sportsmen gather in Rock Springs, Wyo., to discuss the problems caused by increasing oil and gas development.
Federal employees and outside experts under the auspices of AFSEEE develop a management plan for the Columbia Basin - a volunteer effort that cost taxpayers nothing.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Steve Snyder on What can we still learn from Edward Abbey, 25 years after his death?
- David W Hamilton on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- David W Hamilton on Sometimes, the West must be protected from itself
- Brant Hayenga on BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- David W Hamilton on What can we still learn from Edward Abbey, 25 years after his death?