Items by Michelle Mcclellan
The Student Conservation Association has been sending thousands of young volunteers to help maintain national parks since 1957.
An irrigation district's water diversion from the Rio Grande in New Mexico wipes out an estimated 70 percent of the endangered silvery minnow population.
A directory of some Western consensus groups is followed by a bibliography of consensus-building materials.
Arizona tells the city of Phoenix that it must come up with $25 million to preserve the nearby state-owned Cave Creek Wash.
Navajos win a court victory against Peabody Coal Company's strip mine on the reservation, citing pollution and desecrated burial sites.
Locals object to the killing of 350 bison for brucellosis prevention after they wander into West Yellowstone, Mont., from Yellowstone National Park.
Eastern Washington grass farms are upset by an announced phaseout of the practice of late-summer field burning, after clean air activists complain.
Taxpayers pay and managers are rewarded when Forest Service officials in California hand out timber contracts without adequate environmental review.
Environmentalists and sportsmen gather in Rock Springs, Wyo., to discuss the problems caused by increasing oil and gas development.
Federal employees and outside experts under the auspices of AFSEEE develop a management plan for the Columbia Basin - a volunteer effort that cost taxpayers nothing.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum
- Alaina Huxtable on Blood Quantum