Items by Michael J. Robinson
The controversy that flared when a trapper posted a photo of himself with a dying wolf proves that Idaho and other Western states are incapable of managing wolves without the help of the Endangered Species Act.
Dave Foreman's first novel, The Lobo Outback Funeral Home, tackles issues like wolf reintroduction, old-boy politics, and New Mexico culture clashes in the guise of fiction.
Northern New Mexico's Valles Caldera is for sale, and many think the world's largest extinct volcano ought to become the nation's next national park.
The first endangered Mexican wolves are returned to the wild in southern Arizona and New Mexico's Apache and Gila national forests.
- Dale Lockwood on Mule deer in decline, crude oil spills and violence against federal staffers.
- G M Ferguson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Kathy Dimont on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Rich Schrader on How the West will feel groundwater shortages
- Rich Schrader on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson