Items by Matthew Preusch
Amateur gold prospectors are invading the West’s publicly owned streams, and environmentalists say the hobby’s popularity threatens fish and the environment
Washington’s 194-member Stillaguamish Tribe has demolished its only village to make room for a casino, but now the casino’s financiers are under investigation, and the tribe’s gaming permit is in limbo
As the Wild Sky Wilderness Act goes to Congress this year, supporters fear the Republican-controlled Congress may let the timber industry have a crack at the land, rather than preserving the area in Washington’s Cascade Range.
On the Walla Walla River In southern Washington and northern Oregon, local farmers and environmentalists have avoided a drought-sparked water war with collaboration and innovative irrigation reform.
- Jeffronimo Kingpin on Is Yucca Mountain back on the table?
- Verne House on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- Irene Schmidt on A tense confrontation on a quiet Montana road
- Russ McCollum on What we've lost in the Methow Valley wildfires
- James Shepherd on Is Yucca Mountain back on the table?