Items by Marshall Swearingen
The constitutionalist group Oath Keepers is defending a mine that the Forest Service says is out of compliance.
The industry hopes Wyoming's coal bonanza lasts another 100 years. But mining's peaks and valleys have never been entirely in its control.
A little-known 1955 law gives the Forest Service a way to shut down placer mining claims along some Western rivers.
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Mark Bailey on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Jim Scarborough on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Sarah Scott on What we've lost in the Methow Valley wildfires