Items by Marshall Swearingen
The industry hopes Wyoming's coal bonanza lasts another 100 years. But mining's peaks and valleys have never been entirely in its control.
A little-known 1955 law gives the Forest Service a way to shut down placer mining claims along some Western rivers.
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?