Items by Kurt Caswell
The photos and essays gathered in this collection of photographs and essays celebrate the austere beauty of a vast dry landscape.
A writer wanders the mountains north of McCall, Idaho, with Peruvian shepherds, their dogs and sheep.
In her first short story collection, From the Hilltop, Toni Jensen relies on her Metis heritage to explore American Indian life off the reservation.
Annie Proulx's memoir Bird Cloud and Gary Snyder's book-and-film project, The Etiquette of Freedom, unveil the private lives of two iconic Western writers.
- Ryan Stevenson on Can human judgment handle avalanches?
- Bryan Daneman on Scarcity and survival reign in ‘The Water Knife’
- Krista Langlois on Idaho mining dispute raises questions about the future of wilderness
- Bill Azevedo on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution