Items by Kimberly Hirai
Master leasing plans, or MLPs, are a new tool designed to help the Bureau of Land Management better coordinate energy leasing and development in areas that may need special treatment or protection.
Historian Richard West Sellars didn't intend to spend a career in the Park Service. But after 35 years, his impact still resonates.
The Bureau of Land Management is working with landscape architects and camouflage experts to better disguise renewable energy infrastructure on public lands.
It's unclear who will take over the preserve's management -- but it is clear the current system hasn't worked
Researchers are trying to restore the damaged, acidic soil around abandoned hardrock mines with the help of biochar, a special form of charcoal.
- Dave Cichan on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Keith Barefoot on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Greg Graves on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Beth & George Broyles on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans