Items by Kim Todd
How much can we learn from restoring the Elwha River, after the two dams that block it are finally removed?
Public-land managers grapple with using indicator species to monitor the health of troubled ecosystems.
Scientists faced a quandary when they had to consider killing golden eagles in order to save rare foxes on the Channel Islands off the California coast.
In the Pacific Northwest, scientists reluctantly consider killing barred owls to save increasingly threatened northern spotted owls.
- Stuart Hurlbert on On those who live and die along the border
- Larry Glickfeld on Trekking across Colorado’s fragmented wildernesses
- Yue Li on On those who live and die along the border
- Shelley Stallings on Photos: Diving for delicacies
- Mark York on Getting over the ‘taboo’ in a gun-rights conversation