Items by Kerry Brophy
Four families cooperate on conservation easements in order to save a huge ranch in Colorado from development.
Andrea Malmberg of Wyoming’s Twin Creek Ranch uses her gourmet cooking to put her ranch guests in touch with the land and with the food they eat
Wyoming’s new "split-estate" law, designed to give private landowners more control over energy development on their property, hits a big obstacle – the Bush administration
Reba Teran is painstakingly building an audio dictionary of spoken Shoshone, hoping to save both her language and her culture
Frustrated Wyoming ranchers make an end-run around legislators and oil and gas lobbies to take the split-estate issue to the last constituency who might help them: the voters.
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?