Items by Karen Dorn Steele
Washington Sen. Patty Murray seeks to protect the stretch of the Columbia River that flows through the Hanford Nuclear Reservation - known as the Hanford Reach - as a wild and scenic river, but many locals object.
Two whistleblowers - safety auditor Casey Ruud and geophysicist John Brodeur - find that radioactive waste from some of the biggest, leaking storage tanks has already reached groundwater and is heading toward the Columbia River.
The National Cancer Institute has been sitting on a study that says up to 72,000 people - many living far from nuclear bomb test sites in Nevada - may have been exposed to dangerous amounts of radiation in the 1950s.
Controversy continues to surround Dr. C. Alvin Paulsen's experiments on Washington State Penitentiary inmates.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day