Items by KIMBERLY HIRAI
Master leasing plans, or MLPs, are a new tool designed to help the Bureau of Land Management better coordinate energy leasing and development in areas that may need special treatment or protection.
Historian Richard West Sellars didn't intend to spend a career in the Park Service. But after 35 years, his impact still resonates.
The Bureau of Land Management is working with landscape architects and camouflage experts to better disguise renewable energy infrastructure on public lands.
It's unclear who will take over the preserve's management -- but it is clear the current system hasn't worked
Researchers are trying to restore the damaged, acidic soil around abandoned hardrock mines with the help of biochar, a special form of charcoal.
- Jane Shafroth on Rants from the Hill: The aliens that make Nevada home
- Irene S on No direction home
- Richard Crow on Ranch Diaries: Why cowboy life is intense
- Richard Crow on Mass shootings in Western states, by the numbers
- Mary Mcallister on Wildland restoration is like marriage: An imperfect work in progress