Items by Jonathan Thompson
Low prices have energy companies and communities reeling as rig counts plummet and unemployment climbs.
The national park system does more than celebrate beauty. It also commemorates the ugliest parts of our past.
California’s Aliso Canyon is a reminder that methane emissions are widespread, poorly regulated — and ongoing.
- Dana Powers on The tenuous fate of the Southwest’s last jaguars
- Mark DeGregorio on Meet the aspiring ranger locked out by National Park Service practices
- Lael Bradshaw on New documentary offers a sharp look at the West’s water crisis
- Steve Snyder on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Jim Schumont on Stop the rock-stacking