Items by Jim Woolf
San Juan County, Utah, officials are removing "road closed" signs from BLM land in the Grand Gulch area, claiming ownership of the roads.
The Army abandons Red Butte Reservoir in Utah, and leaves no one responsible for the dam, its reservoir and the June sucker fish that live in the water.
Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt tries to calm the state's bitter wilderness debate with a camping trip in proposed wilderness area - but no one wants to come.
Bruce Babbitt's announcement of a new BLM inventory of southern Utah wilderness leads to a flurry of illegal road work, since roaded land can't be classified as wilderness.
A look at history shows a cycle in the rise and fall of Western wise-use movements and sagebrush rebellions.
- Carl Reese on Five Western waterways worse than the orange Animas
- Steve Snyder on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Ray Ring on Montana farmers start talking climate change
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tom McCall on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought