Items by Jim Woolf
San Juan County, Utah, officials are removing "road closed" signs from BLM land in the Grand Gulch area, claiming ownership of the roads.
The Army abandons Red Butte Reservoir in Utah, and leaves no one responsible for the dam, its reservoir and the June sucker fish that live in the water.
Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt tries to calm the state's bitter wilderness debate with a camping trip in proposed wilderness area - but no one wants to come.
Bruce Babbitt's announcement of a new BLM inventory of southern Utah wilderness leads to a flurry of illegal road work, since roaded land can't be classified as wilderness.
A look at history shows a cycle in the rise and fall of Western wise-use movements and sagebrush rebellions.
- Karl Anderson on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Gus Dizerega on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Harold Johnson on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- James Osborn on Go ahead, control my guns
- Frances Hohl on How Outward Bound lost, and found, itself