Items by Jenny Emery
Historian Mark Fiege's book, "Irrigated Eden: The Making of an Agricultural Landscape in the American West," describes southern Idaho as a hybrid habitat that reveals a complicated reciprocal relationship between people and nature.
The anthology "New Genesis: A Mormon Reader on Land and Community" features essays by contemporary Mormons who seek a reconciliation between their faith and the Utah landscape.
Self-taught grazing activist Michael Seidman wins a victory when a federal judge rules that the Forest Service's analysis of a grazing allotment on Arizona's Tonto National Forest was inadequate.
In Colorado, a bill to gut state law 1041, which allows local communities to have strict land-use regulations, is pulled from consideration in the House.
Idaho Fish and Game officials urge the Forest Service to remove logging roads damaged by heavy rain and landslides in national forests.
A longtime effort to restore bighorn sheep to Hells Canyon is imperiled by a deadly outbreak of the disease pasturella.
Non-residents who illegally kill fish and wildlife in Montana face stiffer penalties than locals who commit the same crimes.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife issues a draft propoal that would allow the agency to remove the wolf from the endangered list before environmentalists think it is recovered.
Idaho environmentalists fight with the state Land Board over leasing parcels for conservation instead of grazing and win a court victory.
The Northwest Ecosystem Alliance is the highest bidder for Washington's Thunder Mountain salvage sale, but once the group refuses to log the trees, the Forest Service may not go through with the sale.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum